Thursday, April 9, 2009

quotable quotes

More quotes I've been keeping in a Google document...might as well put them here to share them.

"To whom it may concer: it is Springtime. It is late afternoon." Kurt Vonnegut

"An honest religious thinker is like a tightrope walker. He almost looks as though he were walking on nothing but air. His support is the slenderest imaginable. And yet it really is possible to walk on it." Ludwig Wittgenstein

"Honesty, such a waste of energy... You don't have to lie to me, just give me some tenderness beneath your honesty." Paul Simon

"...honest doubt is worth more than feigned belief." Bishop Alan Wilson

“Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance.” Sam Brown

"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts." Albert Einstein

"Let us not underestimate the privileges of the mediocre. As one climbs higher, life becomes ever harder; the coldness increases, responsibility increases." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Learn to labor and wait." Longfellow

"To be sensual, I think, is to respect and rejoice in the force of life, of life itself, and to be present in all that one does, from the effort of loving to the making of bread." James Baldwin

"Fear less, hope more;
Eat less, chew more;
Whine less, breathe more;
Talk less, say more;
Hate less, love more;
And all good things are yours." Swedish proverb

"Zen does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." Alan Watts

"What makes the engine go?
Desire, desire, desire." Stanley Kunitz

"The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind." William James

"We continue to shape our personality all our life. If we knew ourselves perfectly, we should die." Albert Camus

"The pitcher has got only a ball. I've got a bat. So the percentage in weapons is in my favor and I let the fellow with the ball do the fretting." Hank Aaron

"There's nothing that cleanses the soul like getting the hell kicked out of you." Woody Hayes

"I can truly say of everything I have ever tasted in this world of God's mercy - and my path has been remarkably strewn with divine loving kindness - I feel more grateful to God for the bodily pain I have suffered, and for all the trials I have endured of various sorts, than I do for anything else except the gift of His dear Son. I am sure that I have derived more real benefit, permanent strength, growth in grace, and every precious thing from the furnace of affliction than I have ever derived from prosperity." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our reponse lies our growth and our freedom." Viktor Frankl

"You desire to know the art of living, my friend? It is contained in one phrase: Make use of suffering." Henri-Frederic Amiel

"I say to the moment: Stay now! You are so Beautiful!" - Goethe

2 comments:

The Protestants Have Stopped Protesting said...

http://theprotestantshavestoppedprotesting.blogspot.com/2009/04/militant-complimentarianism-and.html

Good quotes. This is part of my take on Driscoll.

Cheers.

LKT said...

I'm on a John Muir kick right now. I love this one:

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."

Laura