Thursday, June 26, 2008

anne lamott

Megan, one of my best friends from junior high, she was in my wedding and everything, sent me this today and I wanted to post it. They're some quotes from Anne Lamott's book "Plan B: Some Thoughts On Faith."

"Forgiveness means it finally becomes unimportant that you hit back. You’re done. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you want to have lunch with the person." (p 47)

And how about this, on holiness? “Holiness has most often been revealed to me in the exquisite pun of the first syllable, in holes—in not enough help, in brokenness, mess. . . .In holes and lostness I can pick up the light of small ordinary progress, newly made moments flecked like pepper into the slog and the disruptions.” (p 68)

On hope: “The reason I never give up hope is that everything is basically hopeless. Hopelessness underscores everything—the deep sadness and fear at the center of life, the holes in the heart of our families, the animal confusion within us. When you do give up hope, a lot can happen. When it’s not pinned wriggling onto a shiny image or expectation, it may float forth and open like those fluted Japanese blossoms, flimsy and static, bright and warm.” (237-238)

And later, on the hope buried in Good Friday’s bleakness: “Hope is not about proving anything. It’s about choosing to believe this one thing, that love is bigger than any grim, bleak shit anyone can throw at us.” (275)

On faith: “The opposite of faith is not doubt, but certainty. Certainty is missing the point entirely. Faith includes noticing the mess, the emptiness and discomfort, and letting it be there until some light returns.” (256-257)

3 comments:

the nibbling marmot said...

I like these. I don't consider myself a Christian anymore, but I really love the way she communicates, and I love that she has really lived some life to get where she is now. Did you watch her on The Colbert Report?

stephy said...

No, I didn't see her on that! I'm googling it now.

Simone said...

There was some good stuff in there, but my head is hurting a bit on the last faith thing. I don't think the opposite of faith is necessarily certainty (though it might be for some) but I guess I am quite certain there is no God, but that being the case, it drives me to observe and then clean up the mess myself. In any case, I think there is room for uncertainty without any faith which I am bordering on.