Tuesday, October 22, 2013

church grief

The church we left three years ago had an event the other day and my feeds are full of pictures from it and all the pain came back as I saw them. They're celebrating and people are talking about what a gracious and loving church they're so glad to belong to, and I said the same thing for years, and then I figured out that I was and am disposable to them. When they treated someone who worked there like an employee instead of a brother and a friend and fired him in a horrible economy and made up a very suspicious story about the circumstances for the firing, my heart broke. I sat in meetings with the elders and was one weeping woman in a roomful of stoic men each time. When they told me my intuition was wrong, I knew I had to leave. But there is so much pain and so much wrong that was swept under the rug, never to be revisited. I kept thinking the other night "blood still cries from the ground."

This should never happen to anyone.

4 comments:

Serena said...

Oh Stephy. Having had a similar experience, we feel some of your pain.

Sarah said...

Someday I'm going to read a post like this and not think, "Wait, was that my church?" even though I know it wasn't and couldn't have been. But such a similar thing happened to me that it always catches me by surprise, before I realize it happens everywhere. Which is disgusting. But this is spot on.

Still Breathing said...

Stephy, Sorry I haven't read your blog for a long time :( As Serena said we are having the same story; people telling us how wonderful things are their now and how friendly it is when not a single member of that church has come to see us since we stopped attending. It is, indeed, a shared pain.

Snipe said...

It's so hard when there's no real closure to a painful situation. I've been there too, Stephy.