Wednesday, February 16, 2011

the bermuda triangle of productivity


I found this at Phil Nellis' blog. I also am really intrigued by this intro he posted about the prophets.


“This book is about some of the most disturbing people who have ever lived: the men whose inspiration brought the Bible into being- the men whose image is our refuge in distress, and whose voice and vision sustain our faith…
.
My aim therefore is to attain an understanding of the prophet through an analysis and description of his consciousness, to relate what came to pass in his life- facing man, being faced by God- as reflected and affirmed in his mind…
.
By insisting on the absolutely objective and supernatural nature of prophecy, dogmatic theology has disregarded the prophet’s part in the prophetic act. Stressing revelation, it has ignored the response; isolating inspiration, it has lost sight of the human situation… Reducing it to a subjective personal phenomenon, they have disregarded the prophet’s awareness of his confrontation with facts not derived from his own mind…
.
The prophet’s task is to convey a divine view, yet as a person he is a point of view. He speaks from the perspective of God as perceived from the perspective of his own situation…
.
What I have aimed at is an understanding of what it means to think, feel, respond, and act as a prophet.” — from the introduction

4 comments:

LKT said...

The Heschel book is a classic. Really terrific.

stephy said...

I definitely need to read it.

e2c said...

i usually hate to cite Wiki, but hey...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Joshua_Heschel

Still Breathing said...

The Holy Spirit still calls people to be his prophets and, from experience, it can be very uncomfortable. The problem is when God calls you to tell some people they are doing wrong the chances are they will write you off as a nutcase and ignore you. God gaave me a message for a group of people who I knew would ignore it and I was undecided about what to do till this came up in my Bible reading

"When I say to a wicked person, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. But if you do warn the wicked person and they do not turn from their wickedness or from their evil ways, they will die for their sin; but you will have saved yourself."

Yes they did ignore it but I know I gave them God's message. This leaves me with the pain of knowing they are under God's judgement and yet watching them carry on as if they had done nothing wrong.